Thursday, December 20, 2012

Opening Night: Zaya and New2 at White Walls and Shooting Gallery

Thanks to Nastia Voynovskaya  at Hifructose who made a post on the openings of Zaya's and myself. Link here:
Opening Night: Zaya and New2 at White Walls and Shooting Gallery

Although I was mildly aware of Italian Futurism via learning about Constuctivism I hadn't made the connection to Futurism in my pieces. After having read more, my work has a lot of common ground, particularly philosophically.

"It emphasized and glorified themes associated with contemporary concepts of the future, including speed, technology, youth and violence, and objects such as the car, the airplane and the industrial city."

Although most contemporary approaches to science could be more holistic, and art critics have a definite use, I appreciate this, also taken from Wikipedia.

"They repudiated the cult of the past and all imitation, praised originality, "however daring, however violent", bore proudly "the smear of madness", dismissed art critics as useless, rebelled against harmony and good taste, swept away all the themes and subjects of all previous art, and gloried in science."

3 comments: